Did you know you can recycle clothing and small household items alongside your regular trash/recycling pick up every week? The City of Montgomery began a partnership with Simple Recycling in December of 2018, and it costs you and the City nothing to participate. The City earns $20 for each ton of materials collected!
According to the EPA, only 15 percent of clothing is donated or recycled in areas where no curbside program is offered, which means 85 percent of items end up in landfills. While donations to local charities are still encouraged, this program is intended to capture materials that would otherwise go into the landfill.
What can I recycle?
- Clothing and Accessories: Adult and children’s clothing, coats, hats, jewelry, purses, backpacks, and shoes. Items must be dry and clean (not wet or moldy) and may be in either reusable/resaleable or damaged (stained, torn, irreparable) condition.
- Household Items: Bedding (blankets, pillows, sleeping bags), Kitchen items (dishes, glassware, silverware, pots and pans), Housewares (lamps, mirrors, pictures, radios, small furniture, tools, toys), and small appliances in working condition (toasters, microwaves, coffee makers, irons, hairdryers, etc.) Household items should be in fair, working order with the purpose of reuse.
How does it work?
- Place acceptable items in specially marked Simple Recycling bags, or other weatherproof plastic bags marked “Simple Recycling.”
- Set the bags curbside, about 3 feet from your Rumpke recycling container, on your normal collection day.
- Items that are too large for the bag, but small enough for one person to lift, may be placed at the curb with a “Simple Recycling” tag affixed.
- After collection, the Simple Recycling team will leave behind orange replacement bags for future use. So Simple!
For more information on this program, go to this page on the City website. You may also contact Simple Recycling directly at 866-835-5068 or visit their website simplerecycling.com to request orange recycling bags or for additional information.